Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Love Day!


what?! its valentines day ALREADY? haha.

A friend of mine mentioned last night that today is Single Awareness Day. I’d never heard that label for Feb 14th and it truly saddened me. Not out of a reality that he was right or anything... just out of the realization that one calendar date can cause so much pain in people’s lives.

Ive never seen V-day as a depressing holiday [and no, its not because I have ever had a significant other on that date, because I havent ;)]....but I don’t want to discount how many people truly feel saddened on this day.

I had the opportunity to be an RA in college to a floor of all girls. All I heard leading up to this day, was how depressed they were. Sooo, in an attempt to ease the pain, I drove down to the flower district in LA and ordered a gazillion roses. Then spent all day de-throning and writing little notes to each of my girls letting them know how loved and cared for they were. One girl in particular shared how much her little note touched her and helped her out of the wallowing of not having a significant other...

So, to all you single blog stalkers, I may not be able to send each and every one of you a rose with personal encouragement, but I do just want to say you are wonderful just as you are. Beautiful, whole, complete... amazing and capable of touching and impacting so many lives with a love that has nothing to do with romance. You’ve heard me say it before, but in the words of Andrew Peterson... “Love is not a feeling in the chest, it is bending down to wash another’s feet” (Translation: humble yourselves to serve others)
So if you arent doing anything tonight... click here and show love to someone else instead of sitting home and wallowing :) Then you can get up, put aside the chick flick, throw your shoulders back and SMILE!

But, since today is about love, check out one of my favorite songs of the moment. :)
'Better Than Love' by Griffin House

11 comments:

Jasmine said...

'love is not a feeling in the chest, it is bending down to wash another's feet'

i read this and tears stung my eyes. love you. happy LOVE day!

xoxo...

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

happy valentine's day shy. with or without a significant other you are truly special and are a blessing in so many lucky peoples lives!

Andrew Barlow said...

We know you aren't gonna be single for long!!!! ;) DON'T WE? hahaha

Shyla said...

Does that mean you are FINALLY gonna propose Andrew?! haha ;)

David B. Hoffman said...

Good positive thoughts. Thank you for that. Singles not so bad.

Maureen said...

Hi Shyla!

LOVE that song :-0

Welcome to Beantown and I can't wait to catch up soon :-)

Anonymous said...

Hey Shyla! That was such a sweet post! I remember being in the girl's dorms and single on V-day. I'm sure that meant more to your girls than you could possibly know! Happy Belated Valentine's! :)

Tara & Jason said...

Wow Shyla you are so inspirational!!! I don't think I have ever known anyone as positive and uplifting as you! You truly inspire me to want to volunteer more, explore my passions, and be a better person!!!

Tara & Jason said...

So sorry you're sick!! I am too.

Krista Photography said...

Well said!

btw, if you didn't get an email from me the other day - check your junk mail. important lunch information enclosed! ;)

Anonymous said...

Hey Shyla,
It was awesome to meet you the other night (PUG) Snow that night, pouring rain the next day and sunny and 40 degrees the next... welcome to New England! But seriously we are happy to have you here. Kiddie play date???? Happy V-Day!

Blog Archive