Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Chronicles of a New England winter

Dear Diary,

Saturday marked the one year anniversary of living in New England. I can't believe how fast this year flew... but I have officially survived (or am surviving) a New England winter. Today I spent a few hours chiseling the driveway out from under 5 inches of ice. A few storms blew through and with consistent sub freezing temps, the ice has became too thick to melt (even in today's 50 degree weather). Stepping out of the car called for strapping on your ice skates to ensure a safe transfer to the house. So, armed with an edger and shovel I attacked that ice like Carrie Underwood on her cheating boyfriend's truck. I felt like Superwoman and wanted to chant "I am woman hear me roar"... but that died quickly as I got a splinter and blister from not wearing gloves. Then I just felt weak and pathetic.




Most would think it was moments like this that make me miss Southern California and the perpetual 70 degree weather.
On the contrary... days like this make me feel proud to live in a world I cannot control... a world that I exist in, am blessed to be apart of, and love... cheerfully adapting to rather than running from circumstances and realizing that days like this offer a free workout. I threw on my snow boots, plugged in my headphones and blasted my Boston playlist (just for fun's sake). Then piece by piece the driveway was cleared. Thank God no one has to know about the time I got the car stuck in the driveway last week... no one except the 5 men who dug my car out.
Luckily my secret is safe with you Diary.

xo,
Shy

(ps) apparently new englanders don't just mow their lawn... they mow their snow too. Below is a what I thought was an anemic lawnmower but apparently is a snow blower. ok. cool. whatever.


4 comments:

erica said...

ha, heads up..the joys of winter will probably fade by next year, but glad you're enjoying it now! p.s. welcome to boston :)

suzanne said...

ahahaha.
Love it.
2 days!!

OHANA PHOTOGRAPHERS said...

brrrr...i'm getting cold just looking at these! as much as we miss you out here, we're so happy you've found home :)

DANIELLE said...

I LOVE your photos-- seriously love them. And the fact you are in Boston?! Perfection.

I lived 2 winters in Boston. I love the city, but MAN I don't know how people survive that cold!

Blog Archive